« Home | The Day Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken » | The Naming Rights » | The Temperature is Chili » | The Job Updatified » | The Job » | The Interview » | The Dick and the Lounge » | The Complaint » | The Toys » | The Comics »

The Day of "Wuv"

What is this human emotion called "wuv?"

Are you sure it says "wuv?" It probably says "love."

No, "wuv." Earth "w," Earth "u", Earth "v."

Graaarrgh! This concept of "wuv" confuses and infuriates us!

-- Lurr, Ruler of Omicron Persei 8 & Wife

St. Valentine's Day: The stupidest "holiday" ever.

If you love someone, truly, madly, deeply, then you needn't an annual excuse to show him or her that you do. No amount of advertising should inspire you to purchase soft, red, cuddly teddy bears, or boxes of chocolates that require maps, or $200/dozen roses -- yet every year people give into the hype.

A sample from a discussion with Lynn The Girlfriend, at an indeterminate time in the past:

Jack: So, what do you want for Valentine's Day?

Lynn: Oh, you don't have to get me anything.

Jack: I'm holding you to that.

Lynn: No, see, when a girl says that, that means you really have to get her something.

Jack: I told you "no games" when we started going out, and that includes saying one thing and meaning another. You said you don't want anything, you don't get anything. Discussion over. I win. You lose. Nothing for you. Nyah-nyah, neener-neener.

Lynn: Grrr.

Of course, I still bought her something (which she loved, by the by) because I value my life, but caving into the concept of an ill-conceived "Holiday" irks me to no end. And not just because I've spent 10 of the last 12 Valentine's Days alone.

And it's not a Holiday, dammit. You get a day off work when it's a Holiday. This is no more a Holiday than St. Patrick's Day, Hallowe'en, or Arbor Day, which is to say, "Not So Much."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get Lynn something for our 73rd day-i-versary.

Sheesh.