« Home | The Friends » | The Festivities » | The Coolness » | The Truth » | The Ether » | The Legislation »

The Movies

I've been watching an awful lot of movies lately. This is because my girlfriend enjoys watching movies. I am discovering more and more how simple her tastes are, and how wonderful it will be to not have to go overboard exiting her every single day. She is the type of person where the little things truly will count.

Anyway, back on topic.

In the last little while, I have watched (in no particular order): Garden State, Shaun of the Dead, White Noise, The Darkness, Closer, In Good Company, The Village, The Ladykillers, Moulin Rouge and Some Other Movies That I Can't Remember.

Today, I will discuss Garden State: It stars Zach "Scrubs" Braff and Natalie "Star Wars Crapfest" Portman. In it, Scrubsboy is an aspiring actor who is constantly depressed. He goes home because his parapalegic mother (his fault) died. He talks with his dad, Ian "Lord of the Rings and a Billion Other Movies" Holm, meets up with Padme, and learns how to live again.

Now, despite the inclusion of the fine Ian Holm (man, I like everything this dude is in), this was actually Not a Very Good Movie. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it, due to it's quirky aspects no doubt, but it felt very much like Some Guy's Idea of How An Independent Movie Should Be.

BONUS SECTION

How to Make an Independent Film
  • Take one (1) Disillusioned Gen-X-er
  • Mix liberally with one (1) Boring Society
  • Sprinkle lightly with Friends*, Family*, and Familiarity
  • Add one (1) Pseudo-Deep Realization
  • Pour over Quirky Female Lead
  • Pre-heat movie to 100 minutes
  • Coat film with Independent Songs that No One Else Has Heard.
Cannes Film Fest, here I come!